February 28, 2013

Helping Struggling Readers

I've struggled for a while, ok a really, really long while, about what to put on this blog that will make a difference for kids. Should I gear my posts towards teachers, librarians, school administrators, politicians,  or parents? Not only did making this decision delay another post, but
thinking about what I could say that would initiate meaningful change had me losing sleep.

I love being a teacher and parent. I love teaching kids to read. I love books. I love making a difference in the lives of kids. I am aware that is a lot of love, but what should I do with it?
I can teach a child to read, but that presupposes that children come to school with quite a bit
of learning already under their belt. Perhaps that is the place to begin the work. Sharing with parents
what must happen from birth through 5 years old so that their child can become part of the world of books. What do you think? Where should this blog go that would be most useful?

No comments:

Post a Comment