December 9, 2009

WHAT ARE YOU "SAYING" TO YOUR CHILD ?

There are many, many books that become a part of your life. I remember my Mother reading Peter Rabbit by Beatrice Potter to me as a very young child. Years later I would choose Potter's characters to decorate my daughter's nursery. Her books represent a warm and loving feeling to me and I wanted to share that with my new baby.

I also began collecting first edition children books for my daughter. The first book I purchased was (no surprise) Peter Rabbit! As my daughter grew, the books we shared with her grew as well. Her collection of first editions and books signed by the authors and illustrators grew so much so that we had to purchase three large book cases just for her bedroom. Almost twenty years later, my daughter reveres those books, but she also holds close to her heart the time we spent together reading, talking, and collecting books.

How do you make the world of books accessible to your child? Is the TV on all day long or do you turn it off and read together every night?  Your actions speak loudly to your children so be careful what you are "saying".  By making books and learning an everyday part of your family life you are "saying" many, many positive things.

  1. You are saying.... books are fun!
  2. You are saying.... you are special to me because I spend time reading and talking with you every day!
  3. You are saying.... I care about you because I turn off the TV and give you my full attention, during my busy day, for at least fifteen minutes every night!
  4. You are saying.... we are going to read and talk about great books to build your vocabulary in order for you to read well, write well, and speak well!
  5. You are saying.... I will spend our money on books and word games because I want you to be successful in school and beyond!
This is just a short list, please add to it by commenting on this Blog. Thanks !.... and please buy books for the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment